Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Great Shelford
  • Back Forward
A brick building with a tiled roof, bell turret, and signs for The Shelford Garage, set behind a low metal railing.

British School turned into Mr Pumfrey’s garage, 1920s (Cambs Collection)

School / Autoquick, Church Street, Great Shelford

History of the school

1870 British School built

1906 school closed

Shelford garage opened by Frederick Pumfrey

Autoquick

A black and white Ordnance Survey map detail showing buildings, roads, the word School, and a public house marked as P.H.

Great Shelford OS 1901

Tags

  • school

Projects

  • Great Shelford

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Great Shelford

Schoolhouse, Broad Street, Ely

audio

Non-conformist church Cherry Hinton Road

Education beyond the University

St Mary, Great Shelford

The Road and Rail, Great Shelford

84 High Street, Great Shelford

Four Mile House, Cambridge Road, Shelford

21 High Green, Great Shelford

54 High Street, Great Shelford

The Cottage, 30 Woollards Lane, Great Shelford

Turnpike Gate and Cottage, Great Shelford

18 High Street, Great Shelford

41 High Street, Great Shelford