Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Great Shelford
  • Back Forward

St George and the Dragon, Great Shelford

History of St George and Dragon

Fanny Wale wrote in 1908: across the street was once a public house called in 1738 “St George and the Dragon” where two cottages at the corner of Mill Lane later jutted out into the road. The public house was kept by Mr Roger Gillingham, son of the rector of Shelford Parva, who was then living at the Manor House in Shelford Parva. Gillingham married a woman of no fortune and so displeased his father.

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Great Shelford

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Great Shelford

Red Lion, Stone Bridge House, Stonebridge, Whittlesey

The Two Brewers, Mill Hill, Gamlingay

Royal Oak, Commercial End, Swaffham Bulbeck

St Mary, Great Shelford

The Chestnuts, Great Shelford

58 High Street, Great Shelford

Villas, Tunwells Lane

36 High Street, Great Shelford

The Hollies, 20, and Rose Villa, 22, Woollards Lane, Great Shelford

Malyons, 15 High Green, Great Shelford

The Post Office, 18 High Green, Great Shelford

37 & 39 Woollards Lane, Great Shelford

Gippeswyk, 22 High Street, Great Shelford