Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Heydon
  • Back Forward
Black and white view of a stone church with a square tower featuring a clock and a pyramidal roof with a small finial.

Heydon church

Holy Trinity Church, Heydon

History of Heydon Church, Cambridgeshire

Listed Building

Parish Church. Late C15 nave, north and south aisles and south porch. Vestry and chancel c.1866 Early English style. ‘Church destroyed by Nazis in Battle of Britain 1940, Chancel restored 1952, Church completed 1956, Consecrated by Bishop of Chelmsford July 21 1956’, inscribed on plain spandrels of north door.


The church was severely damaged by bombing in WWII. Restoration work was carried out by Rattee & Kett in 1956.

Mike Petty’s Fenland History Facebook group noted in 2019:

Heydon church was hit by a bomb during a raid in 1940; the tower collapsed and tore down half the nave and part of the aisle.
The photograph shows part of the north arcade and wall held up by strong wooden supports, the east end of the nave roof below which the chancel has been boarded off, and part of a support to the south arcade wall. The bomb blew out the five bells in the old tower. They were recovered and installed in the belfry which now has a pyramidal roof surmounted by a weathercock. The church was restored in 1956.

Stone arches and gothic windows of a church under repair, with a wooden ladder, rubble, and a section of roof partially missing.

Heydon church before restoration in 1956 (photo F J Bywaters) (Cambridgeshire Collection))

For further information about Heydon Church follow this link:

https://hundredparishes.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/HEYDON.pdf

Tags

  • church
  • Listed building
  • medieval
  • Rattee & Kett

Projects

  • Heydon

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Heydon

The Priory, 99 High Street, Guilden Morden

Methodist Chapel, Chapel Road, Earith

12 North Brink, Wisbech

Heydon Rectory

Hill Cottage, 45 Fowlmere Road, Heydon

69 Chishill Road, Heydon

Canes Cottage, 69 Fowlmere Road, Heydon

Ash Cottage, 27 Fowlmere Road, Heydon

Sutton’s Cottage, 7 Fowlmere Road, Heydon

Lane Farm, Heydon Lane

Heydon Place, 1 Chishill Road

Icknield Way

Bramley Cottage, 9 Fowlmere Road, Heydon