Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Hinxton
  • Back Forward

The Oak House, 105, High Street, Hinxton

History of The Oak House

Listed Building

Courthouse or woolhall converted in late C16 or later to domestic use, restored c.1930, architect Col Elliot. 

It was converted for domestic use in the late 16th Cent. During this time it was decorated with wall paintings depicting leaf forms in black and grey on white, typical of the time.

1906, it belonged to the Reynolds family, a farmhouse with two adjoining cottages. It was later converted to a single dwelling.


1939 The Oak House

Elliott Bertram, b 1878, retired official, Commander Royal Naval Reserve

Edith Elliott, b 1886

Tags

  • Listed building
  • tudor

Projects

  • Hinxton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Hinxton

Burnaby Cottage, 17 Church Road, Brampton

2 Parker Street

33 & 35 The Broadway, St Ives

The Corner House, 2 High Street, Hinxton

20 High Street, Mount Pleasant, Hinxton

50 & 52 High Street, Hinxton

Lordship Farm, Hinxton

47 High Street, Hinxton

82 & 84 High Street, Hinxton

Hinxton Mill

Vicarage / Old Parsonage, Hinxton

St Mary and St John, Hinxton

37 High Street, The Limes, Hinxton