Search by topic
Search by text
Histon Baptist Church and Sunday School, Poplar Road
History of Histon Baptist Church
Histon Baptist Church, STATION ROAD Baptist church and school. Church, 1899-1900 by George Baines, extended 1908. School 1901 by George & R.P.Baines. Both linked by office, kitchen and courtyard extension c1990. On land donated by the Chivers family, who lived nearby.
Foundation stone at base, inscribed, ‘This memorial stone was laid by Mr Stephen Chivers June 29th 1899.’
C17 oak panelling behind baptistery, donated 1953, by Chivers family, from demolished Impington Hall.
HISTORY: The church and school were built on land donated by the Chivers family in 1899. Stephen Chivers was Senior Deacon and Sunday School Superintendant. The hall was extended to north and west c1990 linking church to hall with offices and kitchens set round a courtyard.
A good quality 1899 Baptist Church by George Baines with School added 1901 by George and R P Baines.