Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Linton
  • Back Forward
A two-story timber-framed house with a jettied upper floor, red door, and a tall red brick chimney against a grey sky.

4 Church Lane, Linton

4 Church Lane, The Guildhall, Linton

History of the Guildhall

A timber-framed building with a red tiled roof, featuring plastered ground walls and exposed vertical beams on the upper level.

4 Church Lane, Linton

Listed Building:

House formerly the Guildhall, dedicated to the Trinity. c.1523. Timber- framed, exposed at first floor and plastered with some timber repair. Painted brick. Late C17 ridge stack to left hand range and tall side stack to north range.

In 1507 Nicholas Wickham the parish priest left two marks towards making a new guildhall, the building was nearly complete in 1523. After the suppression of the guilds in 1547 it was used as the Town House, in 1697 it became a private house. (Historic England)

A weathered two-story timber-framed building with a tiled roof and cracked exterior render standing on a street corner.

Guildhall Linton before restoration (date unknown)

Two-story timber-framed building with a tiled roof, white plaster walls, and a prominent overhanging upper floor.

Guildhall Linton after restoration (date unknown)

In ‘Linton: the Story of a Market Town’ (1982) is noted:

Linton Guildhall was built between 1510 and 1530 and served as the Town House until the 1660s after which it was used for housing the poor. A town record book which begins in 1577 shows that it was used for marriage feasts, by troupes of players and as a refuge for fellows of Pembroke Hall during times of plague. William Millicent left money in 1527 for pargetting the building. The timber frame as been exposed and careful examination shows where there were original window openings and a doorway on the south side.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • tudor

Projects

  • Linton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Linton

9 Church Street, St Ives

Ivy House, East Street, Colne

Duck End Farmhouse, Graveley

18 Horn Lane, Springfield Cottage, Linton

91 & 93 High Street, Chandlers Chaundlers, Linton

16 The Grip, Walnut Tree Cottage, Linton

20 High Street, Linton

documents

Linton Data

documents

7 High Street, The House Next Door, Linton

111 High Street, Linton

Bridge over Granta, Linton

Fire at Linton – May 1909

108 High Street, Victoria House (Linton Task House), Linton