Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Little Abington
  • Back Forward
A whitewashed cottage with a thatched roof, brick chimney, and dark-framed windows sits beside a metal gate and dense foliage.

Ison’s Cottage, 1924 (W M Palmer) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Ison’s Cottage, Little Abington

History of Ison's Cottage

[Exact location unknown by editor]

W M Palmer commented on this picture in the Cambridge Chronicle in 1924: The house in which William Ison lives has a chimney stack with the shafts set diagonally, and was built about 1650 as a small farmhouse. Ison’s cottage in Church lane was demolished and replaced by bungalows in the early 1960s.

W M Palmer adds the note that John Gibbs may have died here in 1661.

A black and white print shows a thatched cottage with a gabled end, tall chimneys, and a simple gate in front of the wall.

Ison’s cottage, Little Abington (WMPalmer pre 1924)

 

Projects

  • Little Abington

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Little Abington

1 Church Lane, Little Abington

48 & 50 High Street, Little Abington

26 High Street, Abington pottery, Little Abington

38 High Street, Damson Cottage, Little Abington

46 High Street, The White House, Little Abington

28, 30 & 32 High Street, Little Abington

5 High Street, Little Abington

4 High Street, Milestone Cottage, Little Abington

4 Church Lane, Little Abington

Temple Cafe and Restaurant, Newmarket Road, Little Abington