Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Little Shelford
  • Back Forward
Watercolor drawing showing a red brick manor house behind a walled garden with two fountains, two figures, and two swans.

Little Shelford manor copied from oil painting by F Wale

Little Shelford Manor, Manor Road

History of Little Shelford Manor

Listed building:

Small country house built mostly in 1746 for William Finch but with part dating from late C17.

Coach-house, now garage with apple loft above, dated 1708 and initialled CA on oval panel in lozenge to one wall.

Summer house, early C18. Red brick with pantiled roof.

A three-story brick manor house with a central doorway and rectangular windows set in a garden with mature trees and a lawn.

Manor House Little Shelford 1916

Fanny Wale writes about Little Shelford manor in “Shelford Parva”:

The Manor property of Little Shelford was for more than three centuries in the family of Freville, of which it was purchased by Alderman J Banks, who sold it to Sir Horatio Pallivicini after the year 1600; it was Pallivicini who built the Manor House as it appears in the above photograph.

The garden round the Manor House was laid out in the Italian style, with a moat all round it, and to keep it full of water a dam was made across the river Granta.

Pallivicini had been a Papal tax collector under Queen Mary but he became a great favourite of Queen Elizabeth I and commanded an English ship at the battle with the Spanish Armada in 1588.

In 1915 a wounded Belgian Captain named Frain and his young wife were guests with Miss M Walton for several months.

A bachelor once lived at the Manor House for a short time as a tenant. He went to travel abroad leaving some servants in charge of the house, who after a while received a letter to say that their master was dead, and his body in its coffin was going to arrive at the Manor House to be interred in Little Shelford churchyard. At the expect time some men brought a coffin and left it in a small room near the front door, but the little house dog was extremely angry and excited, it barked and sprang upon the coffin so furiously and persistently that the servants were obliged to open the coffin to see if everything was right inside, and there they discovered a live man surrounded with burglars’ tools who evidently meant to steal when all was quiet at night. The bachelor was not dead, he came home a short time after, and he must have been very grateful to his faithful little dog.

Tags

  • Listed building

Projects

  • Little Shelford

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Little Shelford

24 Park Street

St Andrew Impington

The New Inn, 9 Union Street, Wisbech

Manor Farmhouse, Manor Road, Little Shelford

53 High Street, Little Shelford

Lay Groves Cottages, The Terrace, Little Shelford

The Chequers, Church Street, Little Shelford

Blacksmith’s Corner, Little Shelford

57 High Street, Little Shelford

Victory Hall, Church Street, Little Shelford

93 & 95 High Street, (King William IV), Little Shelford

All Saints, Little Shelford

Site of Post Office, Little Shelford