Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

St Mary Magdalene, Madingley

History of St Mary Magdalene

Listed building:

Parish Church. C13 chancel, late C13-early C14 nave, west tower, and north aisle. Clerestorey added C15. General restorations of 1872-4, and 1885. Tower and spire top stage rebuilt 1926. Pebblestone, clunch and limestone dressings, with tiled, slate and leaded roofs. Plan of west tower, nave with north aisle and north and south porches and chancel. West tower, c.1300, of pebblestone, rendered, Embattled four stages with reticulated tracery to two trefoil lights of west window. Bell stage has two trefoil lights with Y-tracery in two-centred heads to each wall. Small C14 spire, stone ashlar. Nave with rendered walls and C15 clerestory of five windows each of two, cinquefoil lights in four centred arches. The gable of the original c.1300 root is visible at the west end.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.