Search by topic
Search by text
108 High Street, Old Manor House, Melbourn
History of 108 High Street
Mainly late C17 with minor early C18 extension at rear. Front remodelled early C20. Timber frame, rendered with simple geometric pattern pargetting except for the front wall which has early C20 roughcast render and sham framing. Tiled, hipped roof with paired modillion eaves cornice. Shafted red brick ridge stack between front and rear ranges. Some courses rebuilt. Side stack also shafted and of red brick. Two storeys and attic.
The house was probably built by the Hitch family, tenants of Lord Alington, the Lord of the combined Argentines and Trayles manors. Dame Mary Hatton, wife of Sir John Hatton (d.1740) is believed to have retired here.