Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Newton
  • Back Forward

The Green, Newton

History of the Green, Newton

This land was awarded to the village as compensation when the common land, Camps Park, by the brook, was enclosed. It was the space used for the village feats on St Margaret’s Day, July 20th.

It was probably here that the Coronation festivities of 1911 were held. It was decided that “All men and boys over 14 of age to contribute the sum of 1/6 to a fund to provide for the whole village. It was estimated that about 250 persons should be provided for, and it was decided to order 200lbs of meat, 125lbs bread, 60lbs cakes and buns, tea, butter and sugar, 36 gallons of beer, 12 doz bottles of mineral waters and 3 lbs of tobacco.” (1930s report)

Projects

  • Newton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Newton

Hall Farm, Newton

School, Newton

Field Houses, Whittlesford Road, Newton

Ice House, Newton Manor

The Cottage, Fowlmere Road, Newton

Queen’s Head, Newton

New Farm, Newton

Toll House, Newton Manor Lodge, Town Street

87 Whittlesford Road, Newton

56 & 58 Town Street, Old Vicarage, Newton