Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Sawston
  • Back Forward

61 High Street Sawston 2019

61 High Street, The Town House, Sawston

History of 61 High Street

Listed Building

House and shop, possibly the Town House mentioned in the Manorial Survey of 1580 by John Paxton steward to the Lord of the Manor. C16 with C19 and C20 alterations and additions.

A ‘Town House’ was mentioned in a survey of the Huddleston manor in 1580, so today’s Town House may be the same building. The Grade II listing status estimates that parts of the current building do date back to the 16th century.

However, its appearance today bears little resemblance to the original. It was timber framed with lathe and plaster walls, a thatched roof and a central chimney stack providing two hearths in the two ground floor rooms and a further two upstairs.  Carved wood beams and the number of hearths indicate an occupant of fairly high status – the majority of Sawston houses in the late 17th century had only one hearth. It also has an original cellar under the shop. An unusual feature was a passage way for carts to enter the yard at the back which passed under the upper storey. It has since been incorporated into the living room.

The biggest aesthetic change to the house was in the 19th century when a fashionable brick façade with large sash windows was added to the front over the lathe and plaster. Internal changes completely alter the 16th century layout with an entrance passage cutting through the original double chimney stack. It has not been established when the righthand side of the building was converted into a shop but the single storey extension to the side was added in 2019, closing off a side entrance.

61 High Street Sawston early 20th century

From the mid 19thcentury the house and shop were tenanted by a series of pharmacy cum post office shops including John Crampton who extended his businesses into telephone services, aerated waters and printing. He sold anything from medicines to sheep dip! The Town House was bought by a Mr Stevens at auction in 1922 although the shop continued to be occupied by pharmacies.

In 1973 South Cambs District Council bought the Town House with other High Street properties. The shop was home to a variety of businesses including clothing and bespoke furniture. The house was divided up and used for accommodation until 1994 when it was bought as a private residence with leases for the retail premises.

However, by this time the building was in a very dilapidated state so needed extensive renovations and extensions which further changed the layout. During these renovations a child’s shoe was found in the chimney – a tradition from the 16th century for warding off evil spirits. The Town House today remains a comfortable family home.

1 Paxton, J. (1580) Manorial Survey of Manor of Sawston in Teversham T. F. (1947) History of Sawston Part II (Crampton & Sons Ltd) p.53

2 Listed Buildings. List entry no 1128028.  Historicengland.org.uk (1974 & 1986)

3 Documents in owners’ possession

4 Mr M Stead

Tags

  • Listed building
  • tudor

Projects

  • Sawston

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Sawston

27 Green Street

The Gables, High Street, Histon

Manor Farmhouse, Horningsea

31 Hillside, Parsonage / Classical Academy / Edwin Daniel House, Sawston

Black Bull Inn, 98 High Street, Sawston

Hutchings and Hardings Ltd, tannery, Sawston

Borough Hill: large multivallate hillfort, Sawston

documents

33 New Road, Sawston

Sawston Village College

Ariel Cottage, 109 High Street, Sawston

St Mary, Sawston

Sawston Hall

19 Vicarage Avenue, Sawston