Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Shudy Camps
  • Back Forward

Manor, Shudy Camps, 1923 (photo W M Palmer) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Manor, Shudy Camps

History of the Manor

Manor, Shudy Camps OS 1885

This was featured in the Cambridge Standard in 1935 (26 April 1935): At the head of a richly wooded slope of parkland stands the fair mansion of Shudy Camps, the seat for these last thrity years of the Revd Canon Frederick Thornton …. the red brick edifice, part Elizabeth and part Georgian …. in the house is a hidden room.

It is a Grade II listed Queen Anne House, 17th century with later 18th and 19th century additions. It was built by Marmaduke Dayrell about 1700 and stayed in the family until 1898.

It was bought then by Arthur Gee who changed his name to Maitland. The house was sold in 1903 to the Rev Canon F F S M Thornton, vicar of Shudy Camps.

In 1939 the parkland was requisitioned by the British Army and the house occupied by the RAF.

Tags

  • tudor

Projects

  • Shudy Camps

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Shudy Camps

Barn, Uttons Drover Swavesey

1 & 3 High Street, Tudor House, Kings Head Public House, Hauxton

The Hall, Burrough Green

Priory Farmhouse, Haverhill Road, Shudy Camps

Carters Farmhouse, Main Street, Shudy Camps

The Thatch, Main Street, Shudy Camps

Thatch End, Mill Green, Shudy Camps

Shudy Camps data

Shardelows Farmhouse, Mill Green, Shudy Camps

Cottage, Mill Green, Shudy Camps

Bramleys, Main Street, Shudy Camps

St Mary, Hockley Green, Shudy Camps

Meadway & Meadside, Shudy Camps