Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Teversham
  • Back Forward
A light-colored two-story cottage with a tiled roof and central brick chimney behind a brick wall and Thurlborn Close sign.

1 Thurlborns Close Teversham

1 Thurlborns Close, Willowes farm, Teversham

History of 1 Thurlborns Close

Listed building

House, early C17 but incorporating an earlier building on the site, possibly an open-hall. Later additions were made to the South side wall. Timber-framed, rendered with a steeply pitched roof of tiles and an early C17 ridge stack with grouped shafts set diagonally.

In 1851 Sarah Walker farmed 160 acres with the help of 9 men and 2 boys. The Walkers rented their land from Gonville and Caius, and another lot from Lady Jermyn’s Charity. Sarah Walker’s son was Robert Walker.

1851 High Street

Sarah Walker, 67, farming 160 acres, b Teversham

Robert, 26, living on the farm, b Teversham

Maryam Ralph, servant, 18, b Fulbourn


Between 1852 & 1860: some disaster struck Robert Walker. he gave up his farming leases and the 1861 census described him as a ‘broken down farmer.’


1861 Robert L Walker living in Teversham with wife, four children and two servants. His mother died on Christmas Day 1861.

High Street:

Robert L Walker, broken down farmer, b Teversham,

Elizabeth, 30, b Wimpole,

Mary Jane, 6, b Teversham,

Robert Webb, 4, b Teversham,

Frances G, 2, b Teversham,

Henriette P, 1, b Teversham,

Emma Hill, 17, servant, b Cambridge

Adelade Brown, 19, servant, b Bottisham Lode


By 1871:there were no Walkers living in Teversham

1872 Robert’s wife. Elizabeth, detained in Fulbourn Lunatic Asylum and mother and husband unwilling to pay for her upkeep. Poor Law Guardians took action against her husband.

1876 Robert died in Victoria Road, Chesterton of fatty degeneration of the heart.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • mental health

Projects

  • Teversham

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Teversham

7 North Brink, Wisbech

Zoar Chapel, Roger’s Road, Swaffham Prior

56 & 58 Town Street, Old Vicarage, Newton

6 High Street, Spurgeon’s Cottage, Teversham

6 Church Road, Teversham

Corney Grain by Himself

The Fison family of Horningsea & Teversham

Teversham Hall

Borley Brothers Engineering, Teversham

Teversham 1850 – 1900

The Rectory, Teversham

The Rose and Crown, Tamarind, High Street, Teversham

All Saints, Teversham