Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Toft
  • Back Forward
Two men stand by a thatched cottage with bicycles, while a horse-drawn cart for corn, offals and flour waits in the lane.

Brookside, Toft, 1927 (photo R T Bellamy) (Cambridgeshire Collection)

Brookside, Toft

History of Brookside, Toft

The photo shows a cottage in Brookside in 1927 with Harold Constable, bike and a corn, offal and flour merchants van.

In 1947 the was a serious fire. This cottage was one of three completely destroyed. It was occupied by Thomas White, wife and daughter. Most of their furniture was saved.

Another cottage occupied by Own Braysher was completely destroyed. A German prisoner of war did great work helping to save furniture. (See Vanishing Cambridge p.178 & CDN 7.10.1947)

Tags

  • fire
  • world war two

Projects

  • Toft

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Toft

12 Union Road

21 Parkside (2), Lyndhurst, 2 St Peters Place

87 High Street, Sunnyholme, Cottenham

Toft Manor, Church Road, Toft

The Firs, 64 High Street, Toft

High Street, Toft

26 – 32 High Street, Toft

65 High Street, Toft

Toft data

Old Farm Farmhouse, Comberton Road, Toft

St Andrew, Toft

122 & 124 Caxton End, Eltisley

Providence Cottage, 9 Brookside, Toft