Listed Building
Inn now a hotel. Early C16 with later C16, C17 and C18 alterations rebuilt and altered in mid to late C19. Timber-framed with plaster infill and rendered, painted brick, front elevation cased in knapped flint with gault brick quoins and dressings; plain tile roofs.
W M Palmer (1924) argues that there was no connection between the medieval hospital next door and the inn.
In 1619 King James stayed at the Red Lion and there is still a “King’s Room’. In 1631 the King granted the landlord a special licence to sell wine.
1763 landlord Hammond Turtle put his initials with date under the red lion on the sign board.
1834 Thomas Holiday, landlord. At that time a black oak table, allegedly from the hospital was in the dining room, and the font caught drips from the pump in the courtyard.
Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@
This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0