Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Queen Edith's Cambridge
  • /
  • Long Road
  • Back Forward
A tall brick building with a vertical rectangular window above a blue double door, flanked by two small circular windows.

Long Road Sixth Form College, Cambridge (RGL 2016)

Cambridgeshire County High School for Girls / Long Road Sixth Form College

Notes on Cambridgeshire County School for Girls / Long Road Sixth Form College

Archaeological report:

https://knowledge.oxfordarchaeology.com/library/4183/

Pevsner’s Cambridgeshire notes that it was built ‘1937-41 by S E Unwin, an excellent example of progressive 1930s school architecture, brick, freely grouped, and generously spaced.’

A tall brick building with a vertical rectangular window above a blue double door, flanked by two small circular windows.

RGL 2016

Historical information about this school can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Road_Sixth_Form_College

The diarist Jack Overhill visited the school 30 October 1941 to ask about a State loan for his daughter Jess to be able to go to teacher training college.


9 October 1950
Girls in their teens, middle aged women and some in their sixties mingled together at a jubilee reunion of the Cambridgeshire High School for Girls. For many it was their first visit to the new school in Long Road. Their own memories took them back to the Drill Hall in East Road, where the school began, or to the Collier Road premises, now the Technical College and School of Art. The happy times spent there were recalled often during the evening.
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge East Road Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, reference 1950 10 09.


Janet Slade taught art at the Girls County from 1960 until it became a sixth form college. In 2016 she recalled her time there (with a wood fire in the background):

https://cms.capturingcambridge.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/SladeGirls-County-.mp3

Pat Chapman had moved with her family into Spalding Way in 1954. She started at the Girls County that autumn. in 2016 she recounted how much she enjoyed everything except for the beetroot and the tapioca.

https://cms.capturingcambridge.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Chapman02-Long-Road.mp3

After A levels she went on to work at the University Library and then in the library of the Department of Botany:

https://cms.capturingcambridge.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Chapman03-Univ-Library.mp3

Tags

  • archaeology
  • Building of Local Interest
  • iron age
  • Roman
  • school

Projects

  • Long Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Long Road

1 – 8 Elm Street

Worsted Street, Roman Road Mount Farm, Fulbourn

40 Norwich Street (School Yard)

5 Long Road, Bracken Dale

Long Road, Cambridge

1 Long Road, Wayside

Huccaby

4 Long Road, The Coppice

13 Long Road, Woodside

22 Long Road, Woodlands

17 Long Road, Pine Gates

26 Long Road, The Spinney

20 Long Road, Oak House/White House