Notes on the history of Homerton College Hills Road Cambridge
Homerton College circa 1915
Homerton College Cambridge circa 1925?
This aerial view of the college was taken in 1924.
Information about the history of Homerton College can be found here:
General overviews of Homerton College can be found here:
Architectural features include the original gym, now used as the Combination Room:
The Great Hall is a designated Building of Local Interest
Alumni of the college, Homertonians, both before and after it became part of the Cambridge University include:
Samuel Dyer 1804-1843 translator of Bible into Chinese
William Ellis 1794-1872 English missionary and geographer
Robert Cotton Mather 1808-1877 missionary and translator
Edward Stallybrass 1794-1884 translator of Bible into Mongolian
William John Fox 1796-1864 religious and political orator
Charles Wellbeloved 1769-1858 Unitarian and archaeologist
Cherie Lunghi b.1952 actress
Tamzin Merchant b.1987 actress
Olivia Coleman b.1974 actress
This is a letter from J Horobin, principal of Homerton College (1894-1902) to their neighbours, Rattee and Kett, the builders, who had a yard to the north west of the college on Purbeck Road. It is interesting to see on their letter head they they described themselves as Homerton New College (Cavendish College) even in 1896.
Rattee and Kett were responsible for the extension to the main building at Homerton College pictured above.
Jack Overhill records in his diary 9 May 1941:
A warning last night from 12.10 am till about 5 o’clock. A lot going over the town; scores of planes, incendiaries dropped on Hills Road setting fire to Homerton College and doing considerable damage to it. Many houses in that direction also set alight.
Michael Bowyer in Air Raid! pub 1886 says that a number of incendiary bombs in the high roof of the main hall quickly set fire to many timbers.