Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Queen Edith's Cambridge
  • /
  • Hills Road (South)
  • Back Forward

Roman Camp, Cambridge

History of Roman Camp

Cyril Fox in 1923 (The Archaeology of the Cambridge Region) describes at the G.E. Railway Station scanty remains of the earthwork of what may have been a Roman camp lying just to the east of what may have been a Roman camp lying just to the east of the Roman road, Red Cross-Cambridge, close to the Hills Road railway bridge, and apparently bisected by the wall of the cattle market, were, until recently, visible. The greater part of the the work was destroyed in building the goods station. Fragmentary pottery from the site is in the Cambridge Museum.

Tags

  • Roman

Projects

  • Hills Road (South)

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Hills Road (South)

Anglo-Saxon graveyard, Girton

Iron Age enclosure, Bronze Age barrow, Roman cemetary

Waitrose site

The Great War in St John’s Parish: Hills Road (South) – south of the railway line

285 Hills Road, Ashcroft, Cambridge

160 Hills Road, Wingfield, Cambridge

Travelodge, Hills Road

176 Hills Road, Trumpington House Lodge, Cambridge

226 Melville (?Coolbawn), Cambridge

St John the Evangelist – Parish Magazine Archive 1910

167 Hills Road, Lansdowne Road, Cambridge

216 Hills Road, Perlethorpe, Cambridge

319 Hills Road