Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
https://commons.wikimedia.org

285 Hills Road, Ashcroft

History of 285 Hills Road

1911:

Percy Hawkes, 44, dentistry and dental anaesthetics, born Beds

Clara Elizabeth, 42

Gladys Mabel, 17, born Cambridge

Winifred Trine, 13, born Cambridge

Percival Evans, 7, born Cambridge

Ethel Henrietta Norden, 24, cook, born Cambridge

Marjorie Ivy Corwell, 18, housemaid, born London

On the wall there is the year 1908 in relief. In 2016 it is owned by Emmanuel College and used for graduate accommodation.

(1901 the family are living at 26 Hills Road)

…………

1939:

Frederick Winton Smith, b 1880, County Chairman Cambs and Hunts wholesale meat suppliers

Ellen G, b 1883

Douglas, b 1912, manager of wholesale provision factory and retail shops

Joan (Robinson), b 1918, secretary

?

Edith M Beart, b 1893, servant

Frederick Winton Smith had been born in Irchester, Northamptonshire in about 1880. By 1911 he had started a small business at 26, Mill Road, Cambridge, as a pork butcher, and he and his wife Ellen were living there that year. The business expanded quickly and within a few years there were branches across Cambridge, one in Newmarket and another in London. In 1916 he was listed at 73a, Burleigh Street, Cambridge (Kelly). In November 1919, the Mayor of Cambridge formally opened a new head office and bacon-curing factory for the company at Wellington House, East Road, Cambridge. (See King’s Lynn https: //kingslynn-history.uk/shops/no-108/)

………..

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.