Search by topic
Search by text
Trumpington Temporary Station
History of Trumpington Temporary Station
According to Mike Page, ‘Tracking Down Our Area’s Original Railway Station,’ Queen Edith’s Magazine Summer 2021, the GER, GNR and LWR railway companies organised a temporary station at this location in 1922 to serve the needs of the Royal Agricultural Show which was held on a 125 acre site stretching from Long Road to Trumpington Road.
The GER had helped to organise a Royal Show in Cambridge in 1894 on a 64 acre site at Midsummer Common and Jesus Green. Sidings with a special platform had been created in Tenison Fied, between Tenison Road and the railway.
In 1922 two platforms were created with access from Long Road. There was a temporary road made of railway sleepers to the fairground. Five staff were initially made available in May to serve ‘Trumpington Temporary’. By the end of June there were 88 staff working there; they unloaded a total of 1,233 railway wagons.
For more detail see: