Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Suffolk
  • /
  • Newmarket
  • Back Forward
Black and white street scene with the curved facade of the Doric Cinema on the left and various vintage cars on the road.

Doric cinema Newmarket, 1938

Doric Cinema, High Street, Newmarket

History of Doric cinema

On 1st March 1937 a new and up to date cinema, The Doric, opened with Will Hay in “God Morning Boys”. With its pleasantly rounded facade and fluted columns The Doric even had a cafe upstairs where patrons could meet before the show for tea. As this extravagance added some two shillings each to the cost it remained a luxury for the minority. (p60)

(R H Vincent, A Tanner Will Do)

Tags

  • cinema

Projects

  • Newmarket

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Newmarket
documents

Victoria Assembly Rooms, Electric Theatre, Victoria Cinema, Market Hill

Skating Rink, Pyrometer Factory, Picture Theatre, Rendezvous, Rex, Magrath Avenue

audio

John – Gwydir Street

58 Glisson Road, Holywell

182 Histon Road

86 High Street, Cottenham

University Bowls Club, Brooklands Avenue

Three Chimneys, 38 High Street, Brampton

24 Churchgate, Soham

142 & 143 High Street, Huntingdon

Robert Recorde, Tenby, Pembrokeshire

Town Street, Upwell

Mawson Place/Union Place, Mawson Road