Cambridge Boys’ Club c.1962
28 Wellington Street (Row), Cambridge Boys’ Club (St John’s Church)
History of Cambridge Boys' Club
1851 (32 – 22 Wellington Row)
(32)
Ann Flack, widow, 60, formerly laundress, b Chesterton
Emma, niece, 26, dressmaker, b Chesterton
Harriet Marsh, visitor, 22, straw bonnet maker, b Cambridge
Harriet Flack, daughter, 1, b Cambridge
In 1852 Harriet Marsh was arrested by the proctors. Her committal number was 99.
(31)
Thomas Mansfield, 27, tailor, b Fulbourn
Eliza, 30, b Barrington
William Payne, 17, tailor, b Clare
(30)
William Constable, 60, cordwainer, b Girton
Mary, 39, shoe binder, b Surrey
Thomas Badcock, lodger, 60, carpenter, b Cambs Cottingham [?]
Mary, 59, lodger, b Littleport
(29)
William Brunt, 32, dealer in earthernware, b Beds
Louisa, 23, b Lincs
William, 13, helps father, b Lincs
Joseph, 3, b Beds
Sarah Ball, mother in law, 63, traveller, b Lancs
Priscilla Ball, sister in law, 14, helps mother, b Lincs
Sarah Brunt, daughter, 1.5, b Swavesey
(28)
William Brunt, 32, dealer in earthernware, b Beds
Louisa, 23, b Lincs
William, 13, helps father, b Lincs
Joseph, 3, b Beds
Sarah Ball, mother in law, 63, traveller, b Lancs
Priscilla Ball, sister in law, 14, helps mother, b Lincs
Sarah Brunt, daughter, 1.5, b Swavesey
1901 St John’s Church
11 September 1948
When the East Road Boys’ Club reopens in its new premises behind the St John’s Mission Church in Wellington Street, Cambridge, another year of really constructive work by its members will have begun. This club has proved what great feats can be accomplished when a team of boys learn to work together and understand their responsibilities to the community and club. The boys’ ages range from 14 to 18 and their programme is designed to create a balance in their physical, spiritual and mental development. During the past year, for example, they won the Pointer Cup for boxing. It is run entirely by voluntary effort and has a membership of 100 boys.
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge East Road Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, reference 1948 09 11.
6 October 1949
The proposal to buy St John’s hall, Wellington St, Cambridge, for use as the East Road Boys’ Club was criticised. The building was described as “a filthy hovel, scheduled for demolition and without sun and air”, part had been condemned as unsafe some years ago. “It is a place I would not want to put pigs in”, said Coun. Dennard. Mrs Rackham agreed it was a poor neighbourhood, but thought it would take years and years for the whole of the district to be demolished
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge East Road Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, reference 1949 10 06.
1962
Cambridge Boys’ Club (Cambridge Education Committee
The Cambridge Freebooters’ coffee bar in old church buildings provided a meeting place for 15 to 18 year olds in 1960 – 1962. The club was started by John Ewer, a theology student at Ridley Hall. They organised film shows and debated taboo subjects, such as birth control.
Sources
- Mike Petty Archive
Projects
Contribute
Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please
let us know using the Contact page or by
emailing capturingcambridge@
Licence
This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated by
.