Photo: Rob Howard
A turning off Trumpington Road
Chaucer Road turns to the west off Trumpington Road at the northern end of Trumpington parish.
For derivations of street names see Trumpington Local History Group web page
Its history and residents have been described in “Rus In Urbe. Chaucer Road and Latham Road: the History of Two Rural Roads in
Cambridge”, by Jane Renfrew, Magnus Renfrew and John Rose, published by the Southacre, Latham and Chaucer Residents’
Association (SOLACHRA) in 1996. This is a valuable source about the development of the area (full details in the bibliography).
Formore information, contact the SOLACHRA Secretary, Ian Gaseltine: firstname.lastname@example.org
For names of people who have lived here in the past see the Trumpington Local History Group page
In 1939 this was the home of John Burkill, university lecturer, his wife, Margareta, and their children. It was also the home of Gerd E H Reuter, student, and Ida M Braun, a metal broker’s secretary.
Margareta, Greta, is remembered fondly by the many Jewish refugee children that she found homes for and looked after in Cambridge during the Second World War, according to accounts held by the Museum of Cambridge.