Search by topic
Search by text
Clay Farm in former years. Cambridgeshire Collection reproduced in Trumpington through time. Shirley & Stephen Brown
Clay Farm is now the site of a large development of houses by Countryside
Clay Farm orginally extended from Long Road southwards for about half a mile. It was farmed by tenants on land awarded to F.C.J. Pemberton at the enclosure of the parish in 1804-09. The last farming tenants were the Cornwell family, who were there until the early 1970s.
The term “Clay Farm” is now applied to the whole of that area south of Long Road, extending as far as Shelford Road. Much of it was taken out of the green belt in 2006, and is now a major new housing development, coordinated by Countryside Properties, with individual areas developed by Countryside and other builders. Part of the area is open space, now known as “Hobson’s Park”.