Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

158 (70) (69) Newmarket Road, George and Dragon

History of 158 Newmarket Road

Royal Commission Survey of Cambridge 1959: temperance hotel, formerly the ‘George and Dragon’. 14 yds E of Leeke Street, of two storeys with cellar and attics, has walls of plastered timber framing …. the deeds of the house include dentures of 1737 for the land where ‘lately stood the … tenement known as the Magpie.’

1807: Pub called the George from at least this date. It is a property owned by Richard Foster, an extensive landowner across Cambridge.

……………

1851: George and Dragon

William Maile, 23, innkeeper

……………..

1861: (69) George and Dragon

Richard Thurlburn, 43, publican

26 lodgers

……………….

1871: (69) George and Dragon

William Weston, 45, publican

9 lodgers and 10 servants

………………..

1881: (69) The George and Dragon

Phillip Bell, 42, college servant

4 servants and 12 lodgers

(70) William Gam, 60, chimney sweep

Nos. 1-3 George and Dragon Yard first appear.This may mark the transformation of lodging houses into independent dwellings.

……………….

1885: George and Dragon Coffee tavern

…………………

1891:

(69) Coffee Tavern

Charles J Ball, stationers assistant

1 servant and 2 lodgers

(70)

William Gaine, chimney sweep

……………….

1901: (70) to let

………………

1913: The Temperance Boarding House

W F Ward, proprietor

Temperance House Yard:

Abbey Miniature Rifle Range

(2) Mrs Elderkin

Shamrock Passage:

(1) –

(2) William Nunn

(5) C Cranfield

(6) William Nunn

…………..

1962:

(158-160)

Ward Cox and Son pastrycooks

Mrs A Cox

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.