Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

164 (72) Newmarket Road, Brown’s Yard

History of 164 Newmarket Road

At the back of this location was Brown’s Yard. It appears on an 1830 map. It was demolished in the mid 20th century.

In 1851 12 properties were listed in Brown’s Yard; from 1871 there were only 8. It was probably one of the blind alleys with properties ‘unfit for human habitation’ according to the Cambridge Imrpoved Industrial Dwellings Co. who bought the land in the later 1870s.

……………

1851: (57?)

James Mullin, 52, labourer

……………

1861: (72)

Thomas Mullens, 67, labourer

……………

1871: (72)

James Mullens, 82, general dealer

…………..

1881: (72)

James Reynolds, 20, sugar boiler

……………

1891: (72)

Henry Bruce, 45, gas worker

……………

1901: (72)

Israel Rockett, bootmaker

…………..

1913:

Israel Rockett, bootmaker

Nathan Rockett, bootmaker

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.