Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

178 (79) Newmarket Road, Bell Inn

History of 178 Newmarket Road

C18: inn believed to have existed from at least this period.

……….

1851: Bell

William Gilbert, 47, butcher and publican

………..

1861: ? see no.80

…………

1871: (79)

George Barrell, 58, publican

…………

1881: The Bell Inn (79)

William Harmer, 36, publican

………..

1891: Bell Inn

Emily Harmer, 97, inn keeper

…………

1901: (79)

Emily Harmer, publican

…………

1913: Bell Inn

Mrs Florence Tabor

Mrs E J Harmer

………….

1962: –

…………

1963:

Enid Porter records in Cambridgeshire Customs and Folklore p223f how, in 1963, two 14 year old boys brought to the Cambridge Folk Museum two pieces of decaying wood that they had picked up in an outbuilding behind the Bell public house. The inn had by then been pulled down; the pieces of wood had markings on.

Most likely it was a table top used for the game of Merelles or Nine Men’s Morris.

It is known that the Bell Inn existed in the C18; it had a small entertainments room with stage and gallery, in which concerts were given until early in the C20.

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.