Star Brewery bottle
Burleigh House, Star Brewery, 13 – 15 Newmarket Road
History of 13 - 15 Newmarket Road
Royal Commission Survey of cambridge 1959: built in the 18th century but in the second half of the 19th century the front was extensively remodelled… some of the rooms retain original panelling. The eponym is James Burleigh, FSA, carrier and landowner, of Cambridge, died c. 1830.
A B Gray in Cambridge Revisited (1921) notes:
Opposite stands Burleigh House, deriving its name from a former owner who held extensive property in the neighbourhood. James Burleigh flourished during the reign of George III and was one of that small number of public spirited men who from time to time have risen to affluence by their industry and sterling worth, and played no inconsiderable part in the life of their native town. He followed the remunerative calling of a carrier and, during the stirring times of the Napoleonic menace, was accorded public thanks for his patriotic offer of sixty horses and eight waggons for general service in the event of an invasion…. he became a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries…. James Street and Burleigh Street perpetuate respectively the christian name and surname of this worth citizen.
James Burleigh’s will is in the National Archives at Kew.
c. 1822/23: James P Twiss moved his brewery in Rose Crescent to this site. he married Ann in the 1830s. At the Coronation Feats of 1838 on Parker’s Piece, the Star Brewery provided six barrels of beer.
1859: Brewery was sold to Frederick Bailey, former licensee of the Burleigh Arms, the Star Brewery tap associated with the little Hope Brewery in Parsonage Street. Twiss moved with his family to 56 Hills Road.
The ‘Star’ name was probably in use from the 1850s. The Hope brewery was incorporated circa 1870.
Frederick Bailey in 1887
c 1877: Herbert Hazeldene Tebbutt, Bailey’s stepson, became involved in the work of the brewery. he later became head brewer and a partner in the Granta Brewery.
1889: brewer was sold to Charles Armstrong. Armstrong also took over the Priory and Victoria Breweries. he remodelled and modernised the brewery. Among the pubs it supplied were the ‘Fountain’ i St Andrew’s Street, the ‘Free Press’, the ‘Hazard Arms’ in Mill Lane renamed the ‘Mill’, the ‘Jolly Millers’, the ‘Cow and Calf’, ‘Dew Drop’, ‘Midland Tavern’, and ‘Champion of the Thames’.
1892: Limited Company formed, initially the ‘Star and Priory Brewery Co’, but by 1893 the ‘Star Brewery’.
Star Brewery before demolition in 1976
Frederick Cumberland, 44, brewer, b Beds
Evelyn M, 38, b Newcastle
Geoffrey, 12, b Somerset
Rupert, 10, b Wilts
Alice Cutting, 24, cook, b Chesterton
Alice Fisher, 23, parlourmaid, b London
1913: Burleigh House
Henry C Francis, director Cambridge Star Brewery
Star Brewery Cambridge Ltd, Charles Armstrong, managing director
The workforce of the Star Brewery was almost entirely female a the end of World War One (Barnwell at War 2018)
Tollemache Breweries of Ipswich gained controlling interest.
1957: merger of Tollemache and Cobbold breweries
Tollemache and Cobbold Breweries
1972: brewing on site ceased
1981/2: brewery demolished leaving only the 18th century Burleigh House front.