Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

186 (81 & 82) Newmarket Road, Abbey Farm

History of 186 Newmarket Road

1851:

John Hart, 57, farming bailiff

…………

1861:

(81) George Burrill, 47, innkeeper [possibly same as Bell Inn]

(82) John Bilton, 60, shoemaker

………….

1871:

(81) David Ambrose, 48, farm bailiff

(82) Burrell Chamberlain, 23, brewer

………….

1881:

(81) Morris Bland, 38, builder employing 26 men

(82) Richard Shaw, 53, farm foreman

………….

1891: Thoday Farm

Richard Shaw, 63, farm bailiff

(81) Alfred Cox, 68, bootmaker

………….

1901: (81 & 82)

Stephen Pink, farmer

……………

1913: Abbey Farm

Stephen Pink

William Pink

S and W Pink, dealers in horses

…………….

1913:

7 November 1913: Cambridge Chronicle p5:

Death of Mr William Pink. It is with regret that we record the death of Mr William Pink, which occurred on Sunday Afternoon (Nov. 2nd) at 186 Newmarket Road.  Mr Pink was in his 60th year (68), and had been ailing for some two years.  Mr Pink was  a partner in the well-known firm of horse dealers, Messrs S. & W. Pink, of Cambridge.  He was familiar all over the British Isles.  He was a native of Cambridge, having kept the Bird Bolt  for 32 years, and for the last 15 years he has resided at Abbey Farm, Newmarket Road.  The funeral takes place on Sunday afternoon at 3 o’clock at the  Borough cemetary, Newmarket Road.

……………..

1923:

28 September: Camb Ind Press:

Death of Mr Stephen Pink, a well-known and prominent Cambridge horse dealer. Lived Abbey Farm, Newmarket Rd. Died Monday September 23rd 1923, of diabetes. Horse dealer for 40 years, later assisted by brother William Pink (died 1913) Well known all over the country, especially in East Anglia.  Went to horse fairs in England and Wales. Prominent at Midsummer and Stourbridge fairs, could sell 80-100 horses per day. Well known at Messrs. Grain & Sons, auctions Had 6 sons, 5 daughters. Buried Cambridge cemetery.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.