80 (33) Newmarket Road, Bene’t House & Warwicker’s Yard, Benet Brewery / Seven Sisters Brewery
History of 80 Newmarket Road
Warwicker’s Yard lay at the back of Bene’t House. It was from here on 19th May 1829 that the famous aeronaut, Mr Green, accompanied by two members of the university ascended in a balloon. In 1847 Charles Green launched himself from Parker’s Pieces as record in the diary of Josiah Chater.
Early 19th cent: Warwicker and Co operated a brewery here. After 1829 Charles Green made many balloon ascents. That on 28th June 1832, part of the Coronation celebrations, was his 151st. jacob Warwicker was on the Coronation Festivities Committee.
1850s: site leased to Henry Pegg who continued as brewer. he was also butler at Peterhouse.
1890: brewery run by wife Elizabeth then son William.
Elizabeth Pegg, widow, 75, b Cambridge
Jessie, 30, b Cambridge
William, 36, brewer, b Cambridge [also a butler at Peterhouse]
Elizabeth, daughter in law, 28, b Cambridge
William, grandson, 8, b Cambridge
Henry, grandson, 4, b Cambridge
Jessie, grand daughter, 1, b Cambridge
Daisy Challice, visitor, 13, b Cambridge
Lydia Greene, 20, servant, b Cambridge
1913: Bene’t House
Mrs Elizabeth Pegg
Willie E Pegg, brewer
Business was transferred to 76/78 Newmarket Road, a site owned by Pegg himself.
W G Pye was active in two different areas of military production. It produced most of the receivers used by the new RDF or radar network. It also manufactured a two-way wireless for use by the infantry. About 14,00 sets were made and designs for radio sets for tanks were also produced. They worked on devices such as OBOE which helped bombers find their targets. A director of Pye was seconded to Bomber Command. Miniaturised radio transmitters and receivers also helped create better proximity fuses for use against aircraft and V1 flying bombs.
See Mike Osborne, Defending Cambridge p.171.
W G Pye, electrical engineers