Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Primitive Methodist Tabernacle, Newmarket Road

Primitive Methodist Tabernacle, Newmarket Road

History of the Primitive Methodist tabernacle

1912: from the Christian Messenger, 1912:

The largest chapel is the Tabernacle. It was built in 1876 at a cost, including several cottages, of £3,390, and took the place of one of blessed memories in Fitzroy Street, the scene of some of the most notable happenings in local Methodism. The present building stands fairly prominently on the Newmarket Road, seats five hundred and fifty people, and is in many respects fitted to serve the district round it. A small band of workers have stood by it loyally. Unfortunately, its history has been checkered, and in addition, it is burdened by a large debt. Within the last two years this latter has been slightly reduced. It now stands a little below £700. The Tabernacle was the head of the Cambridge Second Circuit until three years ago, when the two Circuits were amalgamated. A great need is better school premises.

1913:

Revs. C and S Windram, pastors

For more information about Primitive Methodism in Cambridge:

https://www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/content/place-2/cambridgeshire-2/primitive_methodism_in_cambridge

Tags

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.