Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Fort St George

History of Fort St George, Midsummer Common

This Grade II listed building dates in part from the 16th century. It was supposed to bear a resemblance to the East India Company’s Fort St George at Madras, India

Wikipedia article at:

1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge:¬†the walls are of plastered timber-framing in part refaced or rebuilt in brick; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 16th cent. on a T-shaped plan, the cross range having been to the S. …¬†sketch dated 1827 in the inn shows that it stood on an island between the river and a cut to a lock close SE.

Enid Porter in Cambridgeshire Customs and  Folklore p223 described the traditional games of ringing the Bull still played at the time at the Fort St George and the Blue Ball in Grantchester.

A iron ring, about 2 inches in diameter is suspended from the ceiling some distance in front of an iron hook fixed in the wall at a height of about 6 feet from the floor.


Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing