1767: earliest record
1785:hot air balloon flew or landed nearby giving pub its name
19th cent: brewery behind inn
1893: rebuilt after fire retaining original cellar
2014: acquired by Toby Joseph
Enid Porter in Cambridgeshire Customs and Folklore p223 described the traditional games of ringing the Bull still played at the time at the Fort St George and the Blue Ball in Grantchester.
A iron ring, about 2 inches in diameter is suspended from the ceiling some distance in front of an iron hook fixed in the wall at a height of about 6 feet from the floor.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.