Search by topic
Search by text
History of the Observatory Group, Madingley Road, Cambridge
The observatory, 1822-24 is the only major work by J C Mead. It has a Greek Doric tetrastyle centre with the observatory dome above.
Another building on the site is now the current home of the Institute of Astronomy.
Information on this location can be found on Wikipedia.
Sir Robert Stawell, professor of Astronomy and Director of Observatory
Arthur Robert Hinks
Arthur Robert Hinks, first assistant
William Ernest Hartley, second assistant. He was killed in 1917 on HMS Vanguard. following a catastrophic internal explosion which killed 843 men.