Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Castle End Mission logo on jug

Castle End Mission / Castle End Working Men’s Institute / Morning School / Chinese Church

History of the Castle End Mission

1884:

Mission opened. Its founder was Frances Whibley, wife of Mark Whibley local businessman. They lived at Hurst on Milton Road.

Mrs Whibley had started the Castle End Men’s Morning School in a cottage in Kettle’s Yard. She was a founding member of the Victoria Road Congregational Church and wanted to provide for the religious and educational needs of the poor. By 1884, she had sufficient funds to build the Mission Hall. Undergraduates helped her with the teaching.

Working Men’s Institute Foundation Stone

Working Men’s Institute

1913:

Castle End Working Men’s Institute

Castle End Mision

………….

1939:

1939 – the first wedding at Castle End Mission

Bert Harrison of Birmingham and Violet Cullom of 6 Darwin Drive had a guard of honour formed by the Mission Campaign girls at their wedding.

………….

2014:

Mission closed

………….

Chinese Community Church, Pound Hill

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.