Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Castle Cambridge
  • /
  • Northampton Street
  • Back Forward
White two-story building named The Punter with blue window frames, a central wooden door, and a Pound Hill street sign.

3 Pound Hill, Cambridge

3 Pound Hill, Nag’s Head, Rose and Crown, The Punter, Cambridge

History of 3 Pound Hill

(1851: The Nag’s Head, Albion Row, Jonah Reed, Gardner’s Directory)

1852 The Nag’s Head, Jonah Reed, Slater’s Directory


1879 Northampton Street, Wm Mitchell, Post Office Directory of Cambridgeshire


1881 1 Diamond Court Northampton Street, Spaldings Directory of Cambridge

William Mitchell, butcher, 30, b Swavesey

Alice, 28, b Cambridge

Charlotte, 4, b Cambridge

Charles, 3, b Cambridge

Ernest, 1, b Cambridge

Edward Mitchell, brother, unemployed, 16, b Swavesey

Jane Rubben, servant, 13, b Bourn


1883 Albine Carter jun, Kelly’s Directory


1903 06 18

Two cottages in Albion Row belonging to Cambridge Corporation and next to the Nag’s Head public house are in such an unsatisfactory state that it would be inadvisable to execute any repairs; they should be pulled down and new cottages erected in their place. By setting back the frontage it will increase the width of the road and render a further improvement possible when the lease of the adjoining property falls in.

Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge Castle End Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, ref. 1903 06 18.

1909 03 05

The Rose and Crown at Pound Hill was damp, with paper peeling from its walls. There were seven other licensed premises nearby which all did better trade, but the landlord said he exercised great discretion over the customers he encouraged. Other public houses were frequented by the lower classes. If his house were closed, it would encourage the others to cater for larger numbers simply to increase their beer sales. The magistrates renewed its licence, together with those of the Traveller’s Rest on Huntingdon Road, the White Horse in Coronation Street, the Prince of Wales in Church Street, the Fox and Duck in South Street, the Oxford in Crispin Street, Johnny Gilpin in Gold Street and the Prince Albert in Castle Street. CWN 09 03 05

Credit: Mike Petty, Cambridge Huntingdon Road Scrapbook.


1913 D H Salisbury, Cambridge Directory


1916 David Henry Salisbury, Kelly’s Directory


Two-story white Rose and Crown pub with bay windows, a central door, and a Whitbread sign on the front wall in Cambridge.

The Rose and Crown (MoC208/70)

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • Building of Local Interest

Projects

  • Northampton Street
  • Pound Hill

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Northampton Street

30 Newnham Road

7 (2) Fitzwilliam Road (2 Fitzwilliam Terrace)

Parish Room, High Street, Cherry Hinton

11 Northampton Street

38 Merton Place, Madingley Road, Northampton Street

28 Northampton Street

9 Northampton Street

41 Northampton Street

12 Northampton Street

15 Northampton Street

Gentle’s Yard, Northampton Street

John Child, shoeing smith, Northampton Street

6 Northampton Street