Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

10 – 11 Green Street, The Highland Piper

History of 11 Green Street

A B Gray notes in Cambridge Revisited (1921) that:

Until the middle of the last century, on the site of the house at the right-hand entrance to Gifford Place, stood two old weather-beaten tenements numbered respectively 12 and 11, the latter a beer house called the Highland Piper, approached by brick steps leading down to its entrance door.

1851

(10)

Mary A Sharp, 77, annuitant, b Cambridge

(11)

Henry Gee, 56, accountant, b Cambridge

1861

James Halls, 37, labourer, b Coton

 

Green Street in 1910. On left is old entrance to Gifford Place.

1913

(10) John P Gray, bookbinders by special appointment to the University Library

(11) B J Willers, lodging house keeper

1962

(11) Frederick Dench

(11) Leonard Whitehead, hairdresser

2018

(11) Open Air

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.