Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
St Michael's Parish Workhouse date unknown

Gifford Place, Green Street

History of Gifford Place, Green Street

Gifford Place takes its name from the residence of Alderman James. Gifford (died 1774), whose old Georgian building of red brick standing well back from its lofty entrance gates had been demolished by the time A B Gray made this note in 1921. The Parish Poorhouse, at the entrance gate, still survived at this time.

St Michael’s, the smallest of Cambridge’s old parishes, gained its workhouse through the 1744 legacy of Mrs Ann Carrow. The money was invested in two tenements in Gifford’s Place, off Green Street, with the parish subsequently being given the option of turning them into almshouses. The tenements were rebuilt in 1794 for the use of the most distressed paupers belonging to the parish. (The Workhouse in Cambridge)

1836:

James Careless

See Mill Road Cemetery entry

………..

1841:

John Hoppett, 35, college servant

…………

1851:

Robert C Hands, head, 32, letter carrier, b Cambridge

George Gray, head, 27, painter, b Cambridge

John Hoppett, 44, college servant, b Trumpington

…………..

1861: (see Gifford Place, Trinity Street)

James  Carter, 33, college porter, b Fulbourn

Charlotte Dickerson, 64, supported by friends, b Cambridge

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.