Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • King Street
  • Back Forward
The red-painted facade of The Radegund pub features black arched windows, two black doors, and a hanging sign with a crest.

The Radegund, Cambridge

129 (52) King Street, The Radegund (Rhadegund) Public House

History of 129 King Street

1861 (52)

James Richardson, 55, publican Garrick, b Suffolk


1913 The Radegund

Herbert John Hills


2 March 1934 – Rhadeund public house fights for survival
The future of the Rhadeund public house in King Street came under scrutiny during licensing proceedings. The tenant, who had managed the house since 1893, explained that trade had declined following the death of his wife. Within a radius of only 300 yards there were six competing public houses, three owned by Lacons, two by Greene King and one by Mr Dale. Many of the regular customers were elderly and their numbers had gradually diminished. Nevertheless, it was argued before the magistrates that the Rhadeund fulfilled an important social role for a particular section of the local community and should remain open. The report provides a revealing glimpse of the changing fortunes of traditional public houses during the inter-war years and demonstrates how licensing decisions increasingly took account of both commercial viability and social value.
Source: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge King Street Scrapbook 1897–1990, Item: 34 03 02.


1962

The Radegund P H

More information about The Radegund can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Radegund,_Cambridge

The pub is owned by Cambridge United Charities and profit from the pub is used to for the upkeep of the neighbouring almshouses.


Black and white view of the white-painted exterior of The Rhadegund pub with arched doorways, windows, and Tolly Cobbold sign.

The Rhadegund, King Street (MoC212.70)

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • King Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

King Street

Crown, 108 & 110, High Street, Swaffham Bulbeck

43 (17a) Panton Street, Panton Arms, brewery

130 (57) Newmarket Road, The Five Bells

96 (50), Belmont Cycle Works, King Street

Barbers Court, King Street

97 (68) King Street

Sell’s Court, King Street

71 (81, 82), The Mart, King Street, Cambridge

66 (37) King Street

78 (43) King Street

10 (10) King Street, Cambridge

(45) (93-94) King Street, Carpenter’s Arms, Cambridge

127 King Street, Knight & Mortlock’s Almshouses