Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

1 George IV Street (George Street), Crown and Compasses

History of 1 George IV Street

1901: Crown & Compasses

Robert White, widower, 52, publican, b Cambs

William, 14, apprentice, b Middlesex

Shalford Hay, boarder, 60,  major retired half pay list 13th Staff Corps, b India

T F Broadhurst, 31, gentleman, b London

M A Heather, boarder, widower, 52, retired servant, b Hants

Emily Belmont, servant, 48, servant, b Gloucs

Arthur Rowling, boarder, 49, clerk C C, b Duxford

………….

1911:

Benjamin Charles Fuller, 54, police pensioner publican, b Cherryhinton

Hannah, 54, b Cherryhinton

…………

1913: Crown and Compasses

Benjamin Charles Fuller

6/2/1937: The Star Brewery applied for the transfer of a licence from the Crown and Compasses in Coronation Street to a new ‘Vine’ pub in Vinery Way. There had been 817 new houses nearby and many residents supported the application. But several residents thought it would devalue their property and Mr Skeel, who has an off-licences in Vinery Road, opposed it. Greene King also wanted to erect ‘The Running Footman’ in Coldham’s Lane opposite Brooks Road. It would be open at all times for the sale of teas and would have a Cumberland turf bowling green. Both were refused. (Cam. News)

1962: –

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.