Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Laurence Humphry

Lensfield, Lensfield Road

History of Lensfield, Lensfield Road

The Stokes family had previously lived at 3 Trinity Street.

1898: The first paid Marconigram was transmitted on June 3rd, 30 years ago. It was sent by Lord Kelvin who was visiting Senatore Marconi’s experimental wireless station on the Isle of Wight. In order to illustrate his belief in its commercial future, Lord Kelvin insisted upon paying one shilling for a wireless telegram to be sent to Sir George Stokes at Lensfield Cottage [House], Union Road, Cambridge. (recalled in Cambridge Press 5/6/1928)

Sir George Stokes

………………………………………..

1901:

Laurence Humphry, 44, doctor of medicine, b Surrey

Isabel L, 39, b Cambridge

Sir George Gabriel Stokes, father in law, widower, 81, professor of mathematics, b Ireland

William Robinson, uncle in law, India Com retired, b Ireland

Alice Day, servant, 32, cook, b Herts

Rosa A Peachey, 24, parlourmaid, b Fen Ditton

Kate Stenton, 24, housemaid, b Bottisham

……………………………………

2/1/1904: Laurence Humphry, physician, was summoned for not clearing the footway in front of his house known as Lensfield, on Lensfield Road, Cambridge. The pavement had been covered with leaves which fell chiefly from a tree in the doctor’s garden so a constable called and told him it was in a dangerous condition. However the Corporation had erected a fence separating his land from the highway; his premises adjoined the fence but did not adjoin the footpath. He had another frontage to Panton Street and swept the pavement there.  (Cambridge Press)

For more information about Laurence Humphry see:

http://millroadcemetery.org.uk/humphry-laurence/

……………………………………….

1913: Lensfield (this large house and garden took up the grounds now occupied by the Department of Chemistry)

Laurence Humphry MD, honorary physician at Addenbrookes Hospital

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.