Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Magdalene Street
  • Back Forward
A river scene showing boats moored along a stone quay with old buildings, including one marked Bullen and Co, in the background.

Fisher’s Lane c1917

Fisher’s Lane, (Rea Lane) Magdalene Street

History of Fisher's Lane, Magdalene Street

The alternative name for the River Cam had been the Rea, the Celtic for water.

Detail from a 1798 black and white map showing the area around Pikerel Inn and Fishers Lane with hatched building footprints.

Custance map of Cambridge 1798


1861

(1) Elizabeth Faudham, 51, laundress, b Chesterton

(2) Mary Fletcher, 69, laundress, b Cambridge

(3) George Amos, 43, weaver, b Norwich

(4) Isaac Strange, 30, boat builder, b Linton

(5) Lydia Ison, 40, dressmaker, b Longstanton

(6) Rebecca Coulson, 51, nurse, b Hilton

A circular view shows a riverside lane with two figures near moored rowing boats in front of buildings with tiled roofs.

Bullen’s boatyard & Fisher Lane c.1880. Bargees lodged in these houses. (J Palmer Clarke)


1871

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

John Fry, 37, general smith, b Somerset

Ann, 37, b Cambridge

Alfred, 11, b Cambridge

Henry, 7, b Cambridge

Elizabeth, 3, b Cambridge

Anne, 1, b Cambridge

In 1861 the Fry Family were at 29 Prospect Row

(6) Alfred Smith, 27, cabinet maker, b Bedford

(7) Rebecca Coulson, 63, nurse, b Hilton


A 1881 etching shows a small boat with a figure on a river by houses and a towpath, with a church tower rising in the distance.

Fisher’s Lane, R Farren 1881

1881

(7)

John Fry, 47, general smith,

Ann, 46,

Albert, 22, college servant,

Harry, 17,  general smith,

Elizabeth, 12,

Frank, 8, b Cambridge


Tinted drawing showing boats on the river before St John’s College, with a wooden barn on the right and a stone bridge ahead.

St John’s College form Fisher’s Lane by Stadler

1891

(7)

John Fry, 56, whitesmith

Annie, 57,

Elizabeth, 22, dressmaker

Frank, 18, broker’s porter, b Cambridge

Gertrude E, granddaughter, 9, b Cambridge


1901

(7)

John Fry, 68, whitesmith, b Cambridge

Elizabeth, daughter, 32, dressmaker

Frank, son, 29, packer of fish

Ellen, daughter in law, widow, 41, college …?

John E, grandson, 17, apprentice whitesmith

Harry, 15, apprentice whitesmith

Emily, 13,

Nellie, 8, b Cambridge

Florence, 4, b Cambridge

John Fry the elder died in 1906.

A canal lined with boats, with old buildings covered in climbing plants and signs advertising boats for hire on the banks.

Fisher lane c.1905

Note in photo early garden punt. Pleasure punts first appeared around 1902-1904.

A watercolour drawing of multi-storey houses along a waterfront, with two figures standing near a door and a tree to the left.

Fishers Quay 1909 (MoC9:92:59)

1910

A row of small wooden boats moored along a riverbank lined with old stone houses, a bridge in the distance, and a tall chimney.

Fisher’s Lane, Cambridge c1910

1911

7.

William Child, 26, shoeing smith, b Norfolk

Kate, 24, b Cambridge

Kathleen Mary, 3, b Cambridge

Joan, 1 month, b Cambridge

In 1901 William Child was at Honey Hill

Watercolour drawing of a river scene showing a small boat moored by a quay, a low bridge, and gabled buildings in the background.

Fisher’s Quay & Magdalene Bridge 1912 (MoC6:92:59)

1913

(Life Buoy No. 6)

1. Frederick W Bullen, Bullen & Co’s Boatyard

7. William Child, shoeing smith

See Enid Porter: Boat Building

Flat-bottomed boats line the riverbank next to a low building with a faded sign reading BOAT STOLET beneath tiled roof cottages.

Fisher’s Lane, date unknown (photo F J Allen)

W F Turner, Old Cambridge – Cambridge Chronicle 19.11.1929: The wharf down Fisher’s Lane was at one time a very busy place when barges came filled with merchandise and in the cottages lived the bargees. At the Pickerel Inn there still existed a room called the Cock Pit where the men who plied the ferry which existed before the first bridge was built used ton spend their spare time in cock fighting. He was given to understand that at one time the  Binn Brook was a waterway up which coal and merchandise was taken to Barton and Coton. One of the old inhabitants well remembered the state of affairs when there were very elementary sanitary arrangements, and the river was the source of water supply. When he was a boy, the old man said, there lived an old woman who used to get her water every evening in a bucket attached to a pole with a metal clip at the end. One evening when she was filling her bucket he noticed a dead dog in the water near the bucket and called to her, ‘Oh! look there’s a dead dog’ to which she calmly replied, ‘I always boils my water before I drinks it.’

The River Cam flows past stone walls and bare trees, with several gabled buildings visible on the far bank in wintertime.

Fisher’s Lane from Bridge of Sighs (MoC 144/54)

A row of punts moored on the river beside a brick building and a small wooden structure with a sign reading Punts For Hire.

Bullen’s boatyard, 1954 (MoC 197/54)

Pencil drawing of buildings along a river bank with small boats moored in front, reflecting in the water below a stone bridge.

Bullen’s Boatyard (MoC 75/55) drawing by J H Delbos

Projects

  • Magdalene Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Magdalene Street

27 Magdalene Street

18a Magdalene Street

Tan or Rowley’s Yard, Magdalene Street

21 Magdalene Street

6 Magdalene Street

29 Magdalene Street

31 (32) Magdalene Street

17 Magdalene Street

23 (White Bear Inn) Magdalene Street

Ekin’s Yard, Magdalene Street