Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

5 Market Hill (Oasis)

History of 5 Market Hill

According to Pevsner’s Cambridgeshire, no. 5 is timber-framed with restored tile-hanging. In 1688 it was remodelled with a rich shell-hood over the door with brackets and putti, re-set on the upper floor when the ground floor became a shop. First-floor ceiling also of 1688, of plater with a central space representing a cloudy sky, similar to that of the Old Library in Pembroke College.

1871

John R Maye, 42, draper, b Herts

Helen H, 39, b London

Helen Ransom, 15, b Cambridge

Herbert C Graves, draper’s assistant, b Chesterton,

Fred Skinner, 19, draper’s assistant, b Comberton

Jane Ilett, 22, servant, b Croydon


1881


1891


1901


1911

Frank Valentine Wiggins, 30, lodging house keeper, b Wales

Gertrude, 30, b Oxon

Winifred, daughter, 2, b Cambridge

Gertrude Shipp, nursemaid, 13, b Cambs


1913

Frank Wiggins, lodging house keeper

BehindĀ  this address was also the Great Eastern and Great Northern Railway Receiving Office

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.