Search by topic
Search by text
Victoria Brewery 1982
Victoria Brewery, Napier Street / Albert Street
History of the Victoria Brewery
The owner of the Victoria Brewery was William Henry Apthorpe, born in 1808. He became an alderman in 1858.
The brewery was important in the 1840s and 50s. It supplied 12 barrels of beer for the Coronation Dinner on Parker’s Piece in 1838. One claim is that Apthorpe was the first in the area to supply bottled pale ales. He retired from brewing c. 1875. The pubs which it controlled were passed to his son, also William Henry Apthorpe who owned the Albion Brewery in Coronation Street.
Richard Holmes took over the brewery in 1875, the, in 1879, Edward Pryor. In 1881 George Gibson took over until the premises were sold to the Star Brewery in 1891.
Star Brewery used the premises as a laboratory and mineral water works, then as a bottle store.
Star Brewery Malting House
Furniture restorers and antique shop