Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Albion Brewery, 1895 - Coronation Street

Albion Brewery, Coronation Street

History of the Albion Brewery, Coronation Street

1868: Albion brewery

Acquired by William Henry Apthorpe junior. he was son of W H Apthorpe of the Victoria Brewery in Albert Street. Seems to have been a brewhouse attached to a pub, probably the Dolphin or the Rose and Crown.

1895: brewery is described in a guide to Cambridge as having a 10 quarter plant. There were over 50 tied houses in Cambridge including the Elm Tree, Salisbury Arms, Earl Grey, Empress, Durham Ox and the House of Commons.

1896: acquired hy Lacon

1913:

E Lacon & Co, brewers, wine and spirit merchants

H W Badcock, Granta View, Stapleford, manager

1962:

E Lacon Ltd, brewers wine and spirit merchants

1965:

Lacon taken over by Whitbreads. Site demolished soon after.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.