Search by topic
Search by text
12 Regent Street, The Fountain
10 – 12 (9) Regent Street / The Fountain Public House
History of 10 - 12 Regent Street
According to ‘Fenner’s Men’ by Willie Sugg, the Union was one of the earliest Cambridge pub clubs dating from around 1820 . Being within easy reach of Midsummer Common it was sometimes known as the “Common Club” to distinguish it from its competitors who played on Parker’s Piece. The Union, Fountain and Castle [clubs] played relatively low key matches between themselves. As the Cambridge Cricket Club folded, they became the crucial factor in maintaining and rebuilding the town’s cricketing structure.
In 1827, in its last recorded match, a sixteen year old F P Fenner made 34 on his debut for the club.
1913: (10 & 12)
Robinson’s Bicycle Show Rooms
(9 & 10) Bisley’s Ltd duplicating offices
(12) Fountain Public House
(12) George Younger