Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Silver Street
  • Back Forward

Little (Darwin) Island, Cambridge

History of Little Island, Cambridge

Little Island was named so by the Darwins after they moved into Newnham Grange in 1886. It was to distinguish this island from the ‘Big Island’ farther upstream. The only means of access to the islands had been by boat so professor Darwin asked permission to build bridges. For this he obtained a new lease of the islands from the Corporation for 25 years. This was built by Mr Saint for £12.10s.

The island was renamed Darwin Island by Darwin College.

Projects

  • Silver Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Silver Street

Big Island, Cambridge

4 Silver Street

University Printing House

Queens’ College Almshouses, Silver Street

17 Silver Street

24 Silver Street

Old Cottage, Queens’ College, Silver Street

71-72 Trumpington Street

Richardson Candles

14 Silver Street