Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
12-19 St Andrew's Street

12-17 St Andrew’s Street

History of 12-17 St Andrew's Street

1842: Robert Sayle (1816-1883) opened his drapery business at 12 St Andrew’s Street. He had moved from Norfolk to London to learn the drapery trade at Hitchcock, Williams and Co near St Paul’s Cathedral.

His business in Cambridge sold Irish linen, sheeting, hosiery, haberdashery, furs, shawls, handkerchiefs, ribbons and fancy goods. The store was cutting edge for its time having large plate glass windows. The shop expanded until by 1888 it reach no.17.

Robert Sayle

Robert Sayle’s, 1855

Robert Sayle’s, 1855

Robert Sayle died of a heart attack in 1883 but the business continued until Selfridges bought it in 1934. In 1939 it was bought by the John Lewis Partnership.

Robert Sayle’s, 1869

Robert Sayle’s, 1881

Robert Sayle’s, St Andrew’s Street

1913: (12-17)

Robert Sayle & Co

1962: (12-17)

Robert Sayle & Co

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.