Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Peas Hill (East Side)

Peas Hill (East Side)

1913:

(from south)

14. Charles Frederick Hull, Bell Inn

Side Entrance to Guildhall

15. Jennings Bros, cheesemongers and provision merchants

Mrs E Luckett, university lodging house keeper

16. Albert Shelton Weatherhead, bookseller and stationer

Miss Weatherhead

17. G H Sennitt, butcher

Alfred Langford Sennitt

18. –

19. Pollard and Co, confectioners

20. London Central Meat Co.

21. G P Sennitt and Son, poulterers and game dealers and fishmongers

22. A W Rose (late Lawrence and Rose) pork putchers

23. E Proctor and Son, tobacconists

…………………………

19/9/1927: Premises in Peas Hill, Cambridge, may be acquired for the purpose of extending the Guildhall. Trinity Hall, the owners of nos 15 & 16 will sell for £5,500; Mr Sennitt will sell no. 17 for £3,500, the price to include compensation for disturbance of the business and the tenant to have the option of hiring the premises until required by the Corporation. Corpus Christi College has agreed £2,200 for no. 19. The Council is to apply to the Minister of Health for sanction to borrow the sum of £11,700 for the purchase (Cam.News)

23/1/1928: An inquiry was held into Cambridge council’s application to borrow money for the purchase of property in Peas Hill for an extension of the Guildhall. There was an increase of administrative staff and the offices were not adequate to enable the duties to be carried out efficiently. With the acquisition of the property the Corporation would hold the entire island site which would facilitate the suggested scheme for the reconstruction of the Guildhall. They had been met in a conciliatory spirit by the owners of the property and a favourable provisional agreement had been arrived at. (Cam.News)

9/12/1932: A Cambridge man told the bankruptcy court he had started as a second-hand bookseller from a stall on Market Hill. Then he took a shop at 17 Peas Hill selling antiquarian books. But a slump in trade 18 months ago meant Americans were not buying books so he had to borrow from moneylenders. (Cam.News)

1962: –

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.